In case anybody else searches for this information in the future, I was
able to get Scriptaculous sortable and serialize to work with AJAX and
and use the information from the serialize to update by database.

Create a form in your view like this:
<form onSubmit="return false;">
                                <?php
                                        echo $html->hidden('Item/hiddeninput',
array('id'=>'hiddentextarea'));  //hidden item in the form where I
store the return value from the javascript function called by the
"before" variable in the ajax helper below
                                        print $ajax->submit('Submit Changes',
array('url'=>'updateitemorder',  'update'=>'itemtable',
'before'=>'getGroupOrder()'));
                                ?>  //ajax submit button, getGroupOrder is
called once the button
is pressed but before the request is initiated
</form>

My getGroupOrder() javascript function serializes my sortable list and
returns the values as a "string" separated by &'s for tokenization in
my contoller class "updateitemorder"  .  "updateitemorder" is able to
access the string with the following statement:

$args=$this->params['data']['Item']['hiddeninput'];  //$args now
contains the data that was in 'hiddeninput'  from the form