Are you saying there's no way for a session to persist across browsers
launches? If so, then a cookie may be the only way.

I was using a cookie for a while but having issues. For one thing, at
least in Camino I was getting different cookies set for different
controller paths; for another, I'm using this for user login and having
the session obfuscate the real login info is advantageous (though I
suppose I could use md5 to generate an ID for the cookie the same way
the session does).