Hey admataz,

from my experience the performance overhead from requestAction can be significant when you have more then 5-7 of such calls for each action you execute.

However, this definitely depends on the work-load that is caused by the actions/views themselfs, so I would need to do a series of benchmarks in order to figure out how much overhead is caused by requestAction itself.

What I can tell you for sure, is that I've written up a solution for my plugin based cms(toolbox) called SpliceIt!, that has it's own way to exchange data between controllers and that performance increased by a good amount after implementing it. I basically added a new variable to my AppController that's called $apis (var $apis) and I can use it like var $models, but the stuff that get's loaded are specific Controllers of other plugins that are only ment for data exchange with other plugins, I call them ApiControllers.

Just take a look at this, if you are interested in it: http://www.thinkingphp.org/2006/06/24/welcome-to-the-dark-side-of-plugins-in-cakephp/ right now it's still a bit experimental, but works like a charm. I would love to see a similar thing integrated into the cake core and I'll try to talk to phpnut_ about it, but I don't have too much hope that'll actually be part of cakephp soon ; ).

Therefor, you should stay with requestAction and maybe make use of cache() as much as you can for right now.

Best Regards,
Felix Geisendörfer

admataz schrieb:
Hi all,

>From some of the research I've done and few experiments I've tried with
CakePHP, I've discovered that RequestAction in combination with
Elements is an extremely useful and flexible way of embedding modular
dynamic content on pages controllers.

However, a few comments I have read in this list suggest there is an
overhead and possible performance hit when using RequestAction.

Can someone clarify or confirm?

Thanks for all the tasty treats. CakePHP is really working well for me.

-ad