unless you want the Menu model available in all of your controllers,
I would not put it in the uses array. Both the uses array and the
method I described use references, so they are pretty much the same
in that respect.

As far as MVC, requestAction in a view should be avoided. Elements
break some of the MVC rules to make our lives easier, so lets not get
too caught up there.

Overall, Felix I think you are writing more code than you need to. A
couple of things from my perspective. The beforeFilter property was
deprecated in 0.10 in favor of the beforeFilter() method. The
beforeFilter happens before the controller, so grabbing a menu for
display is out of place there unless for some reason you need that
menu data in all your controllers.

Bake on.