I'm looking into using CakePHP for a project that we will be starting
soon. One important aspect of this project is opening up an API that
external apps can connect to.

The Cake Baker posted in February: "At the moment, CakePHP does not
have built-in support for webservices (but it is planned for version
1.0)"
(http://cakebaker.wordpress.com/2006/02/17/webservices-with-cakephp/)

The latest stable version is now 1.1.5.x, so have built-in webservices
been implemented yet? I see that there is a setting in the core to turn
it on, but I can't find any documentation on this.

If built-in webservices are not supported yet, has anyone successfully
implemented the alternative approaches that are outlined in the Cake
Baker's blog post?

Thanks for your help!

(I'm new to Cake and this would be our first project using this
framework)