Thanks everyone for your replies.

Let me see if I understand this correctly, the built-in webservices is
an advanced routing feature that will translate an address of
http://example.com/xml/controller/action/ to a particular controller,
and action of controller::xml_action().

For this example, I would then have to create the xml by using DOM and
then output that xml to the client. For each function that I would want
to turn into a web service, I would create a new function in its
controller, and implement the web service by hand.

Is this correct?