What version of CakePHP are you using?  What version of PHP and MySQL?

I just did a grep on the cake directory and found no reference to mktime().

I then setup a test model/controller/view and used a "DATETIME" MySQL field type.  I scaffolded everything and CakePHP brought up 1946 as the earliest year with no modifications on my part (in a dropdown box).

I am going to test out parameters, but everything saved correctly in 1946 for me.

I am using CakePHP v1.1.6, PHP 5.x, and MySQL 5.x