Just to say a bit more, I found this in the article for UTF-8 on
Wikipedia:

"A badly-written (and not compliant with current versions of the
standard) UTF-8 parser could accept a number of different pseudo-UTF-8
representations and convert them to the same Unicode output. This
provides a way for information to leak past validation routines
designed to process data in its eight-bit representation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

That's the kind of thing I'm worried about, but don't really know much
about.