Morning Peter,

The <title></title> you can set within each action of your controller
by setting the variable:

$this->pageTitle

If you would like to pass data to your layouts all you need to do is:

>From your controller:

$this->set('some_variable',array('some'=>'data');

Then within your layout (or your view):

if (isset($some_variable) echo $this->renderElement('some_element',
$some_variable);

[I preface it with the if statement so I don't always have to pass
that variable from every action in every controller]

You can also simply use the $some_variable without rendering it within
an element within your layout. So basically, whatever you set in your
controller using the $this->set() method is available in both your
layout and your view.

Cheers,
freedom