I think if I understand correctly, you might be able to find what you want here:

http://manual.cakephp.org/chapter/models

basically there are a few different ways of retrieving your data -
find, findAll, query, etc.

find and findAll have scope for order by and limit and such, then
anything outside of that you could simply use query.

there are also other methods which i am now only learning where you
can set the `findQuery` variable when relating one model to another by
an association. i'm still learning that one though so i will leave it
to you to explore more.

apologies if i've missed the mark.