I think you guys have missed the actual point of my post, which is that
I don't see any documentation regarding the lack of controller access
in the view, especially as it concerns people who have been using
$this->controller->Session in their views out of necessity from the
previous version.

I'm perfectly happy to take my own responsibility for circumventing
"decades old design paradigms" imposed by Cake if I feel my situation
warrants it.  However, it was neither previously imposed, nor do I
don't think it's realistic/safe to assume that none of us out here are
using any or all available session methods in a view. It would be nice
to warn us about these things before telling us it's imperative to
update our code with a new version.