So I was on the right track with the URL params. I totally agree with
you that cake makes things a lot easier. I read through pretty much the
entire CakePHP manual, including the models chapter.

Let me refocus my question. If I have those two role fields that aren't
named according to convention, how do I override the default. I read in
the manual that you can do it to one field but can I do it to more than
one field and also how do I do that?

The manual is good and all but it's just so unclear on things. It just
gives a really really high level view but nothing very well or detailed
in the documentation. That's why I'm here at the google group.