Again, thanks for the replies guys. I do appreciate the help!

Unfortunately, neither strategy worked, although they did show
interesting results. Brian's method threw me errors. But Samuel's
solution made the following happen:

Record 1 remains unchanged.
Record 2 created, with the new schoolyear, but no other information was
copied from Record 1 (i.e. last name, first name. etc)
Record 3 created with new schoolyear, and all information copied from
Record 1. (This is the desired result)
Record 4 created, with the new schoolyear, but no other information was
copied from Record 1 (same as Record 2)