$cryptPass = md5($plaintextPass);  // this and other fun facts at
http://php.net/md5

I would like to say something cranky like
"did you look up md5 at php.net"
or
"perhaps some time spent in a nice comfortable desk chair with a girl
named Google"
or some other snide, sarcastic comment.  But then I thought the better of it.

I would not say it was a 'stupid' question just one that is unresearched

HTH

Sam D

ps the snarky comments are meant in jest and are in no way related to
anything at all, they are just for fun and if you take them
differently well that's your issue

--
==
S. DeVore