Hello all,

After a year or so of using Ruby on Rails I'm returning to PHP to work
on a downloadable app (think forums, galleries, that sort of thing).

What are you thoughts on using Cake for this sort of application? It
seems that Cake, like RoR, is intended mainly for hosted apps but it
might also work for downloadable software too.

The main problem I see so far is that most people on shared hosting
have no control over where their webroot is, and some will even want to
install software into a subdirectory rather than acting as a whole
website. In this case I suspect the directory structure would have to
look something like this:

/home/user
    /public
        /my_software
            /app
            /cake
            /css
            /files
            /img
            etc ...

I realise having libraries above the webroot is never ideal, but in
some shared hosting environments there's no way around it.

Anyone have any thoughts on using Cake for this? Is it do-able or are
there other frameworks which are better suited? Seems that Cake has
pretty much everything I need to jump straight in, so if there's a
solution I'd be hugely grateful.

Thanks!
Anthony.