Michael,

Non-expert reply:
After fiddling with ACL for a while I'll say, yes it can do all you
want. The aco entries can represent anything you want them to,
controllers, actions, individual db records, tabes, urls... Aros can
likewise represent anything you choose, users, controllers, actions,
ip adresses...

The permission table will hook up the allowable combinations. And
since both aros and acos are in a tree structure you can set up any
grouping or nesting that serves your needs.

It is worth noting that there are two ways to identify an aro or aco
node, by alias or by table and id. Ponder the value of these two ways
of identifying a requestor or controlled item.

As to the specifics of implementing your system... I can't be too
specific because I'm stilling trying to sort this out. It seems you
can always resort to a kind of brute force approach. At the critical
point in your logic you test: does this aro have permission to access
this aco?

This is the area where I find the tutorials a bit vague. They assume
that there is always going to be a standard pattern for testing. User
to action or user to crud function on a table. Possibly because my
thinking is too fuzzy to build my apps cleanly or possibly because
this ideal situation is not realistic, I have found it a bit confusing
decide what testing mode to use and where to have the checks made.

You are probably going to need to build some before and after save
code to make sure proper permissions are set up as things grow. A
simple case from tutorials: when a user registers, the save code could
make the new user aro record and an aco entry and give them permission
to access their own db record.

In your case, the work product of a company employee on a project
might need to be listed as a child aco in a collection that was
accessible to managers of that company.

Regards,
Don