Thanks for the replies. As Jeremy says, we are changing this for SEO
purposes.

The blog is currently working fine on blog.mysite.com, and I am trying
to move it to be available on www.mysite.com/blog

I appreciate all the information above, I will need to go through it
to understand it fully.

I've done further testing on what I have at the moment, if I remove
the following for the permalinks settings in the wordpress DB

/%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/

Then the URLs end up being like the following

blog/?p=34

Which then displays fine, but obviously I need a way to get this
working with the nice looking URLs..

I'm going to start by looking into the htaccess changes, I think maybe
the suggestions above will help with this. I also wonder if a change
may be needed to the htaccess under the blog/ directory. It currently
looks lilke this

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /