a quick look in the code tells me that $this->Js->object() checks if there
is native support for json_encode() function and uses that when available.
It is also able to add $prefix and $postifx to the JSON result. Internally
it uses the Js->value() function if there is no native support for
json_encode().
Js->value() calls Js->object() when the variable provided is either array or
object, so whatever you do unless you are coding float, int, bool or null
you are using both methods anyway ;-)

I personally use json_encode() since I have native support on my dev and
prod machines and I do not need $prefix or $postfix. However, I would
probably use Js->object() rather than Js->value().