Yes, I saw that, but the book says you have to do it differently in
order to do it automatically.

You have to refer to the Artist like this:
[code]
$artist['Artist']['id'] = 184287;
[/code]

Observe that you should not just call the save method with the
$artist['Tag'] data only, but the full $artist array.

Else just try to make a form with all the information, execute a save
and take a look at how the resulting array looks like.
Enjoy,
   John