Hey there Ben, thanks for the reply, I understand what you're saying
but have a couple of questions:

With regards you point 1 - if someone got access to your web server
would they not be able to get onto your database and get at the paypal
info anyway?

Re point 2 - crikey, database is the way to go then! But also, the way
that tutorial stores the password it's in an included file and the
included file is not located in the webroot. I had read somewhere that
if you do that and the php code was shown then they'd only be able to
see the variable $password rather than the contents of that variable.
Is that right?

It's all very confusing! I really appreciate your knowledge

Sarah