hmm.  i fixed it. sort of.

My htaccess in webroot was:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [QSA,L]
</IfModule>

but looking at a 1.3 app on the same server (different subdomain) it
was

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
   RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]
</IfModule>

So i have used this and the app is working.   Obviously not ideal to
be sticking bits of 1.3 into my 2.0 app to get it working.  I don't
really understand the changes in the htaccess file  - why the change?
is it  a bug? Something wrong with the server setup?

thanks

will