AD7six,

Thanks for your response. I checked the code. I am still not able to
solve this. Because this is happening when I edit a category also. If,
as you said, my existing category is being overwritten, then while
editing, I should end up in 2 categories with the same name. But what
happens is that I loose one. And the category I loose is not
necessarily the one I edited. Usually its not. So what you said would
only apply to adding a new category.

The category list page is completely Ajax. There is a list of all
categories on this page. When you click edit on any category, The view
changes to edit form for that category. Then when you save, the edit
form disappears and the view mode of that category appears again with
the changed data. It is during this operation where I loose the
category.

Thanks again for your reply.