FWIW I, too, have a huge application driving 20 subdomains. The "owners" of
some of the subdomains need their own "skins" so I've been looking through
this.

My possible solution is to use bootstrap.

1. Add code to bootstrap to extend add 2 paths to  $viewPaths[]. (1) The
relevant subdomains path and (2) the default path
2. Rename views to "themes"
3. Create folders as required for each subdomain

This way render will look for the template in the normal location: always
fail
then it will look for the template in the error folder: always fail
look for it in the subdomain folder: if success, it will use this
else look for it in themes path: always success

I'm using cake 1.1 but from the discussion above it doesn't look like this
has changed and it means I don't have to change core files.