I did this yesterday.  Similar process - i wasn't sure how to run the
upgrade shell,

I ended up replacing the app folder with my 1.3 app, and then running
the shell.  I don't have it in my path so instead i cd'd to my app
folder and ran ../lib/Cake/Console/cake upgrade all

which renamed a lot of folders and stuff.

After that it was a lot of fixing $html  to $this->Html (yes, i know -
shouldn't have done it like that)  and putting turnery operators
instead of ife functions (especially in things like slug-able
behaviours etc) and replacing file with spf.

Iv'e got most of a fairly complex app running in a day.  Still got
some ajax pagination stuff to fix tomorrow.  but all in al its not too
difficult at all.

Thanks to the team that made the migration docs, the upgrade script
and the new 2.0 release - its all v awesome!