>From page:
http://book.cakephp.org/view/1250/Authentication

"Now, there are a few conventions to think about when using AuthComponent.
By default, the AuthComponent expects you to have a table called 'users'
with fields called 'username' and 'password' to be used."

So if you insist on using a model other than users for logins you need to
tell the auth component this:
http://book.cakephp.org/view/1251/Setting-Auth-Component-Variables
http://book.cakephp.org/view/1265/AuthComponent-Variables

$this->Auth->userModel = 'Student';

However, I would recommend against this as I am sure if your app has
students it will have teachers, or other types of users which would be
better managed from a User model with those users having roles.

HTH, Paul.