Well the basic idea is that the application uses two datasources. One
is the MySQL one the other is a custom one I wrote for our API. The
Models that use the custom datasource require some methods and
properties, I posted those in the initial question on this thread.
Normally I would just put those in AppModel and be done with it. But,
they break the models that use MySQL so AppModel is not the
appropriate place.

So what I wanted to do was have AppModel at the top of the chain
containing all common Model code. Then extend that to GtiApi, User,
and Group. GtiApi would contain the methods and properties I
mentioned. Then API driven Models like Solidcore would extend GtiApi.
This now works.

In reality though I actually dont "need" the Solidcore models, I could
really just use GtiApi model and then do something fancy so that Model
data was under the right index, say  "Solidcore". That way the
controller and views would work properly as well. Currently the Models
that extend GtiApi are empty. There may be a case for doing some extra
Model work in some of them, but I dont have all the requirements yet.