The accounting web application Freshbooks does this. Every link inside the
application uses an long encrypted string, instead of a url path. Once the
url hits the app, it's decrypted and routed. Thus securing the urls from
users eyes...

I agree that this adds a genuine level of security, even as a
simple deterrent, or mask.

I would use a separate salt value in the configure class, then create a new
helper that encrypts the urls for links and such. Then you could decrypt
them either in bootstrap, or somewhere that loads first. Not sure if the
AppController beforeFilter is soon enough, but it might be. You would just
have to test it out.

Happy Coding.