What I understand from the manual is that if the model you need to
access is associated with the current controller's model, you don't
need to add it to $uses.  Also that you don't need to add the current
controller's model to $uses unless you have added another model, in
which case it becomes necessary to add the current controller's
model.  It seems that Geoff is saying not to add anything to $uses
unless it required on each and every action for the controller.
Otherwise you will slow down actions that don't require it.