> 1. what are the common tools/schemas for benchmarking cakephp based
> apps
> 2. are there a live sites with such userbase or visits running in same
> condition as described, if there is, drop a link :)

There are no benchmarking schemes specific to CakePHP, but some of the
ones I've seen mentioned (like Apache Benchmark) are great.

I've attended two sessions given by Rasmus Lerdorf on tips for
benchmarking and profiling a PHP application.  I highly suggest you
visit the following link and read his slides:

http://talks.php.net/show/hackday06/0

Best resource I have *ever* seen on how to benchmark and tweak a PHP app.

Besides, the ability of an application to survive under high load has
so many variables beyond PHP:

1) web server configuration
2) database configuration
3) use of caching for static content
4) opcode caching

Speaking as someone who helped build a huge online dating site (300K+
lines of code spread across more than a dozen web servers) I can tell
you that PHP code is usually the last place where you worry about
performance.

--
Chris Hartjes

"The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
-- Rasmus Lerdorf

@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard