Hmm, looking at the FileEngine.php#293 of the current release (2.0.5)
there is no call to openFile().
You should probably upgrade cakephp to the current version.
If I remember correctly, there has been an issue in an early 2.0 version.

Also, from a security perspective it's not a good idea to chown the
whole directory to lighttpd. It's ok if lighttpd has r-x access.
Otherwise any vulnerable script could write to files in your webroot.
Just make app/tmp writeable.