Performance is often the very last thing I look at - Productivity is more
important.

My clients care about seeing/touching/feeling a piece of software early and
often so they can inject changes and enhancements to the process. CakePHP
wins for me here because it is just so incredibly fast to develop with -
spend an hour on your DB schema, bake and scaffold everything and you've
got a piece of software which you can use to drive a discussion with your
clients.

Pulling features off the scaffold into more concrete views and controllers
is trivial and if I like I can show enormous progress towards a client's
goals each and every day.

This is the power of a RAD framework. If you want pure speed, you wouldn't
use a framework at all - but performance can be dealt with by purchasing
hardware, caching strategies, db indexing...all of which is comparatively
cheap when compared to development time.

Have tried other frameworks, can't code as quickly in them as I can with
Cake.... that is all I need to know.