Thomas... could you please post what exactly you have *under each directory*?

I'm using 2.1.1 and I believe I made exactly the same setup that you did,
but I'm still getting the "Helper class MenuBuilderHelper could not be
found" error

this is what I do have:
*app
  Plugin
    MenuBuilder
      Controller  ---> Component ---> MenuGathererComponent.php
      Test
      View ---> helpers ---> MenuBuilderHelper.php*

the line *CakePlugin::load('MenuBuilder');* was added to *
/app/config/bootstrap.php*

*The code in /app/Controller/Appcontroller.php*:

  *  var $helpers = array('Form', 'Html', 'MenuBuilder.MenuBuilder');
plus the sample code under beforeFilter() method*
In my default.ctp I have the following code:

        *<div id="header">
            <?php echo $this->MenuBuilder->build('main-menu'); ?>

is this exactly what you have?

thanks
750riderAce