I have done this before in (1.3) but it wasn't a pretty solution.

If your using 2.2 you might want to take a look at this:
http://book.cakephp.org/2.0/en/models/data-validation.html#dynamically-change-validation-rules

You could use that in the beforeValidate() callback of the model and choose
what validation rules to add based on the data supplied.