Putting htaccess in the view folder won't work because Apache isn't
serving anything from there. The view files are opened by Cake, not
sent to the user's browser. If you can type in the path to a view .ctp
and see it in your browser somehow your setup is beyond broken.

> It's just for internal use to exchange files, so no complex auth is needed.

What's complex about Cake's Auth? Prefix the action name with "admin_"
and you're on your way.