I can't speak to the example code you provided as I don't use Cake's
JSHelper for AJAX.

Does the full layout include the data you wanted? Or does it just have
what you'd see when first arriving at the page? Does your controller
action have a redirect? Does the returned HTML include an error or
notice of any kind?