By default there is 1% chance for gc to be called by PHP.
If you want to test if gc() is fired, increase *session.gc_probability *close
to *divisor*:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/session.configuration.php#ini.session.gc-probability
Then watch SQL log for that query.

Anyway, expires should be current timestamp + Session.timeout config
I know, PHP and sessions - nothing but sorcery :D