On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:13 PM, OxfordRob <pestle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a clue... The line:
>
> App::uses('AuthComponent', 'Controller/Component');

The error msg you posted has nothing to do with AuthComponent.

> looks as if it is referring to a library component within the folder
> 'Controller/Component'...
>
> But I only have one file in that folder called 'empty'

That's for your application Components. The 'empty' file is there
because the Cake devs use Git, which, among other sucky things, can't
deal with empty folders.

> Does that suggest something is missing? Do components have to be downloaded
> and installed separately?

The components that come with Cake, including Auth, are under the lib
directory. Store any other components you wish to use under
app/Controller/Components.

As for you AppController iussues, try setting these in app/Config/core.php:

Configure::write('debug', 2);
Configure::write('Cache.disable', true);

Then delete all the files in the app/tmp/cache/persistent directory.

---