Holy necro post, Batman.

__*() functions are related to translations.

__d() is a domain specific translation.  Specifically, it will look in the
translation file cake_dev.po for a translation for "what is cake_dev?".

You can read a bit more about Internationalization and Localizations here :
http://book.cakephp.org/2.0/en/core-libraries/internationalization-and-localization.html

On Thursday, 10 October 2013 23:57:43 UTC+10, Code Monkey wrote:

> what is echo __d('cake_dev', 'what is cake_dev?')
>
> On Friday, 13 January 2012 02:13:17 UTC+7, burntcake wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry if this is another dumb post, but I get the feeling that the
>> tutorials and docs are written with experienced Cake people in mind,
>> rather than Cake novices.
>>
>> For example, after completing the Blog tutorial, it suggests reading
>> up on Layouts, which I did next.
>>
>> At http://book.cakephp.org/2.0/en/views.html#view-layouts it says,
>> "When you create a layout, you need to tell CakePHP where to place the
>> code for your views. To do so, make sure your layout includes a place
>> for $this->fetch('content')".  So I replace my /app/View/Layouts/
>> default.ctp (that I copied from the /lib/Cake/View/Layouts) with the
>> suggested layout shown on that page, and now my Blog app craps out.
>> Then I revert to the good version and it works again.  Ok, not to
>> worry, I'll go on.
>>
>> So, I take a look at /app/View/Layouts/default.ctp (that I copied from
>> the /lib/Cake/View/Layouts) and search for the essential part, $this-
>> >fetch('content').  But, it's nowhere to be seen.  In fact, fetch()
>> does not seem to be defined anywhere at all in the whole bundle, and I
>> can't find a definition for fetch() in the PHP docs either?  So, now
>> I'm wondering if the docs are BS as default.ctp that comes bundled
>> with Cake doesn't even have any mention of this seemingly essential
>> line?
>>
>> Then I take another look at /app/View/Layouts/default.ctp to see if I
>> can figure it out what it does.  The very first line is
>> $cakeDescription = __d('cake_dev', 'CakePHP: the rapid development php
>> framework');
>> There are no comments at all to go with it.  So I try to look up what
>> __d() does and I get this from the docs:
>> __d  Allows you to override the current domain for a single message
>> lookup.  Clear as mud.
>>
>> No explanation of what's meant by domain or message.  Are we talking
>> about dotcoms here, or a set of values?  The latter, I assume, but I
>> can only imagine how many non-English speakers scratch their head til
>> it bleeds after reading that.  And still I'm really not sure what
>> __d() does.
>>
>> I'm sorry if this reads very negatively, and I greatly appreciate the
>> work done by the CakePHP teams and volunteers, but I'm sure Cake would
>> be adopted a lot more widely if it was friendlier to novices (I'm
>> certainly not a PHP novice, but I'm new to Cake).
>>
>> 99% of the tutorials out there are written for the last version of
>> Cake, and don't work for Cake 2 (no doubt they can easily be adapted
>> for Cake 2, but for a novice, they should work 100% when copying and
>> pasting...  A novice can't be expected to adapt someone else's code,
>> just when they're learning it).  I think I would advise noobs to start
>> off with Cake 1, as there's a lot more stuff out there for it, and
> [...]

---