Currently that is the most confusing part of the ORM and I'd like to make
it easier to understand in the next release preview. By default entities
are protected agains mass assignment, this means that you cannot create
them without configuring what properties can be set from the request. You
need to create the entity class and set the properties that are accessible
for mass assignment. Please read this section in the book:

http://book.cakephp.org/3.0/en/orm/entities.html#mass-assignment

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:16:31 PM UTC+1, bato wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to play with 3.0 ORM and I encountered some issues saving
> data.
>
> I have two simple tables:
>
>    - authors with fields id and name
>    - posts with fields id, title, text and author_id
>

> I have fill tables with two authors and some posts by hand to try
> retrieving data with cake.
>
> I have set up two Table class as:
>
> App/Model/Table/AuhtorsTable.php
>
> <?php
>
> namespace App\Model\Table;
>
> use Cake\ORM\Table;
>
> class AuthorsTable extends Table {
>
>     public function initialize(array $config) {
>         $this->hasMany('Posts');
>     }
>
> }
>
> and
>
> App/Model/Table/PostsTable.php
>
> <?php
>
> namespace App\Model\Table;
>
> use Cake\ORM\Table;
>
> class PostsTable extends Table {
>
>     public function initialize(array $config) {
>         $this->belongsTo('Authors');
>     }
>
> }
>
> In App/Controller/PagesController.php I'm trying to save data from an
> array.
>
> $data = ['name' => 'Walter White'];
> $authors = TableRegistry::get('Authors');
> $author = $authors->newEntity($data);
> $authors->save($author);
>
> The data aren't saved. The save method return false but I don't understand
> why.
> Am I missing something?
> I have following
> http://book.cakephp.org/3.0/en/orm/table-objects.html#converting-request-data-into-entities