Managed to solve it with something like this in some cases.

/**
 * Find a list of all the regions and how many hotels are in each region
 *
 * @return array
 */
public function regionWithHotelCount() {
    return $this->find('all', [
        'link' => [
            'CountriesRegion' => [
                'fields' => ['id', 'country_id', 'region_id'],
                'Country' => [
                    'fields' => ['id'],
                    'State' => [
                        'fields' => ['id'],
                        'City' => [
                            'fields' => ['id'],
                            'Hotel' => [
                                'fields' => ['id'],
                            ]
                        ]
                    ]
                ]
            ]
        ],
        'fields' => ['Region.slug', 'CountriesRegion.region_id',
'Region.name', 'COUNT(Hotel.id) as NumHotels'],
        'group' => 'CountriesRegion.region_id'
    ]);
}

On Tuesday, 22 July 2014 11:57:59 UTC+1, David Yell wrote:

> I wasn't aware that Linkable took different types of joins.
>
> On Tuesday, 22 July 2014 11:50:38 UTC+1, José Lorenzo wrote:
>>
>> Not sure why linkable is not working for you. Did you make sure to set
>> 'type' => 'INNER' in the linkable definition for that model? That will
>> filter records from the parent model according to the conditions in the
>> association.
>>
>> On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:57:14 AM UTC+2, David Yell wrote:
>>>
>>> *Synopsis*
>>> Trying to select data from multiple related models explicitly is hard in
>>> the framework due to it's focus on always providing a left join. Even with
>>> Containable and Linkable it's not always possible, without a manual query,
>>> to select records where their related record has a condition. Such as
>>> selecting all Posts where a Tag is authored by User x. It seems odd to me
>>> that the framework should return empty related model records or, if using
>>> linkable not return all the related records. I am starting this thread to
>>> discuss solutions, tips, tricks and techniques for achieving this
>>> functionality as I do not feel that either Containable or Linkable
>>> accurately cover this use-case. It may well be that case that some more
>>> guidance is needed in the documentation for this specific type of query.
>>>
>>> *The problem*
>>> You would like to select from primary model but only if related models
>>> conditions are met. The primary model should only be included in the result
>>> set if the related model conditions are met. With a single related model
>>> this is quite easy using Linkable. However when you start trying to achieve
>>> this across HABTM, hasManyThrough or two or three nested models the problem
>>> grows in complexity.
>>>
>>> A few examples, might make things clearer.
>>>
>>> *Hotel hasMany HotelFeature belongsTo Feature*
>>> You need to select hotels which have n number of specific features. The
>>> hotel must have all of the features listed to be included in the dataset.
>>>
>>> *Post hasMany PostsTag belongsTo Tag belongsTo User*
>>> You need to find all the posts which have tags created by a certain user.
>>>
>>> *Hotel belongsTo City belongsTo Province belongsTo Country*
>>> You need to select all the cities in a country where there is a hotel.
>>>
>>> I'm sure there are some other use-cases, but these are the ones of the
>>> top of my head. As you can see it's usually selecting a primary record
>>> where a related record matches a certain condition, but where the related
>>> record is a multiple.
>>>
>>> *Possible solutions*
>>> This is where I am unsure. My SQL-fu is weak thanks to Cake's awesome
>>> ORM. The only real thing that I can think of is either more enhancements to
>>> Containable or Linkable really. However I am not sure how to approach such
>>> a problem. I was told once in an interview that any more than five joins
>>> will impact performance in MySQL (could be fiction), so obviously there is
> [...]

---