Sorry, didn't see you the first time.  Okay, as I see it, there are 4
ways to solve your problem, 3 of which are basically variations on the
same theme.  The first three ways are these:

// Controller: re-query your entire User model, and merge it with
$this->data:
$this->data = array_merge_recursive($this->User->findById($id),
$this->data);

// Controller: slightly optimized version of the above:
$user = list($this->User->findById($id, array('relevant', 'fields',
'only')));
$this->data['User']['name_if'] = $user['name_if'];

// Controller: just re-query and blow away the POST data completely:
$this->data = $this->User->findById($id);

And the final solution is view based:
// Add a hidden field for the virtual field, to persist it across
pages:
<?=$form->hidden("User/name_if"); ?>

- Nate
  "You know my name, Google the number."