I just finished a site that required 4 different templates.  Our home
page had its own template.  We have a wiki section that has its own
template.  Then we have the default template that every other page
uses and of couse we have the Ajax template.  Template is
interchangelbe with layout.  Each template in our system has its own
layout.  So our homepage.thml layout linked to its own set of CSS
files for example.  When we render the home.thml view in the
conroller, we tell cake to use the homepage.thtml layout:

class VisitorsController extends AppController{
.
.
.
   function index(....){

      // Tell Cake to render the home.thtml view inside of the
homepage.thtml layout
      $this->render('home', 'homepage');

I hope that this helps.

Later