Hi AD7six

I hadn't thought about using data stored in a session.  That would be
useful.

I have just used the suggestion in this thread to use requestAction().
I put it in the view rather than in an element and it works fine.

The page request time is about half what it would be without caching, so
I think that I am getting at least 50% of the benefit of caching.  I am
going to clean up the appController code a bit which should also improve
performance for the requestAction().

I am starting to get a feel for how to use view caching and
<cake:nocache>.  It really requires (for complex pages) that you plan in
the view caching from the start.

Regards,
Langdon