On Feb 8, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Sam Sherlock wrote:

> AFAIK prototype require more code than jquery

maybe().onlyBecause().jQueryLikesTo().stringEverything().alongLikeThis
();

The gain is that you may write less code, but the drawback is that it
is harder to read.

> and is generally not unobtrusive, I may be wrong about this

Prototype has some really nice Event libraries that keep things
unobtrusive.

http://prototypejs.org/api/event

> as you attach events to elements via classname or ids
> foreinstance.  I have a jLink class which I use to change the
> content of a page.  Below is the jQuery code that attaches the
> binds the code to anchors with
>
> // jLink - now add events
> $("a.jLink").click(function(event)     {
>    event.stopPropagation ();
>    event.preventDefault();
>
>    jLinkCall(this.href);
> });
>
>  // ### Begin jLink Events ###
>
> function jLinkCall(jHref)
> {
>
>     // extract the id from this.href
>     var htmlDoc = new String(jHref);
>
>     // CODE TO PROCESS THE HREF {WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO}
>
>     // SLIDE UP THE MAIN DIV
>     $("div#main").slideUp("fast").empty();
>
>     // REQUEST JSON CONTENT
>     $.getJSON("/articles/data/" + htmlDoc,params,function(json) {
>         // debug in firebug
>         console.debug(json);
>     );
> } // END jLinkCall()

Something similar in prototype might look like:

//The first registers the second event registration at window.onload;

Event.observe(window, 'load', function() {
        Event.observe('jLink', 'click', jLinkCall);
});

function jLinkCall(event)
{
        //get a reference to the originating element
        var elem = Event.element(event);

        //do stuff with JSON or effects or whatever....

        Event.stop();
}

-- John