I have a SmartyView that handles caching by utilizing cake's page
caching.  It handles full-page caching great.  If you use
<cake:nocache> it should work as long as the tag is in the layout
file.  I have need for a cachable, non-static ajax call with no layout
and this solution nor cake's default works for me.  So I have an idea
for that too but you'll need to be patient.

The file is at http://www.lloydhome.com/files/smarty.ph_.txt and needs
to be renamed and placed in your /app/views directory.

To use in your controller:

        var $view = 'Smarty';
        var $cacheAction = 300;  // 5 minutes
        var $helpers = array('Cache');