Hey Dom...

How did you imported the data? I ran into a similar problem about a
month ago after the mysql tables got locked in read only (phpMyAdmin
displaying them as 'in use'). That's likely to happen if you use
InnoDB tables and mysql is not properly shutdown. I'm assuming you
knew that already, but if anybody else didn't, the best way to
transfer mysql data is still through a dump (a full sql file building
the tables and/or the data). Copying the various database files
(.frm, ...) works in some instances (same db version, same
filesystem, ...) but definitely not on two different OS.

When I had the problem, I dug down the dbo_mysql.php code and the only
thing I can tell you is that something is preventing cake from running
the sql statement properly. It's nothing to do with the mod_rewrite.
Maybe try to connect to the mysql server running of the SUSE box,
using the same credentials as the cake app, and see if you can run the
sql manually.

Again.. that's very likely to be a mySQL server prob.

Hope that helps!

Seb.