Hi there,

I'm totally new to CakePHP and I am struggling to get my head around
how to do shared navigation across a site. Basically, every page will
use the same unordered list navigation on the left-hand side.
Regardless of the page controller, I need to have this navigation on
all pages. The function that will create the navigation will take in a
variable that denotes the current section (so it can be marked as
'active').

Having looked through the CakePHP manual and taken a look at some of
the posts here, I can see that some people have created a navigation
component, and some a navigation helper. I decided to take a shot at
creating a Navigation Component, but accessing the database directly
from the component seems to be a bit of a problem, so I thought I
might be going about this the wrong way.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction on how to do
this?

Thanks for reading!