The documentation over at the CakePHP manual is far too complex for
what I think I'm trying to do.  I have an account on a shared server
and the top level domain is already running wordpress.  If I put Cake
in the top level, that will break Wordpress, right?  So I created a
subdomain "dev" and installed Cake there.  And I created a .htaccess
file like this:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /app/webroot/ [L]
</IfModule>

Weird.  This only *partly* works.  For instance, the CSS files are not
being included.  When called directly, i.e. dev.domain.com/css/
cake.generic.css I only get back the index.php file in webroot.  Also,
I set up a controller called "notes" and can call it only through the
app directory, i.e. dev.domain.com/app/notes and it works (no css).
However,  dev.domain.com/notes only returns me to the index.php