On 3/5/07, AD7six <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 9:52 pm, "Sonic Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi bakers,
> >
> > I know this has been touched on before but I would like to pay a revisit
> if
> > you'll bare with me for a few minutes. With the advent of cakePHP 1.2 on
> the
> > horizon people have been coming out with some nice additions to the
> > framework which require external libraries to be added to the Global
> > 'Vendors' directory. Since I usually only keep my 'app' directory under
> > version control this causes me re-think my practices once again.
> > Therefore, I was wondering if you would take a minute to share your
> version
> > control strategies so we may see a show of hands and see the most common
> > set-ups used.
> > So, which of the following set-ups do you use:
> >
> > (a) Keep your entire cake installation with your application in your own
> > Repository and merge new changes as necessary with every new release
> drop.
> >
> > (b) Keep your entire cake installation with your application in your own
> > Repository and use svn::externals to point the framework files to the
> > cakePHP repository.
>
> That's me too. externals only for the cake folder.

Hi there AD7six,
Do you mean only the 'cake' subfolder within the framework?

> > (c) Keep only your 'app' directories under version control so that they
> can
> > be checked out into any version of the framework.
> >
> > (d) Other.
> >
> > One other thing I've noticed with my set-up [(c) above] is that, while I
> can
> > check out my application (written with cake 1.1.x.x) into a copy of the
> > 1.2.x.x framework, I seem to be missing some files in my 'app' directory
> > (and associated subdirectories) which are included in the default
> > 1.2.x.xskeleton 'app' directory. Is there a set-up where I can
> > automatically find
> > the missing files using version control techniques?
>
> Using a vendor branch approach for that would work (adding a clean
> cake zip file to your repository, and copying from there to your
> working structure as a starting point), although if you are using
> externals for the cake folder it might be less hassle to check for
> things manually (new things don't appear that often in the app
> folder).

Hmmm..,

I'm thinking of creating a 1.2 branch in my repo. This and going from there.
I haven't thought out the logistics of this yet but I suspect trouble when
my 1.1.x.x branch only had the 'app' dir versioned and my 1.2.x.x branch has
the extra dirs with externals.

Any tips?

Cheers,

Sonic