Okay! Now we're getting somewhere! What you want to do is always have
a model for your controllers. The trick is to not have a db table for
a model.

....So, instead of cutting the DB->Model->Controller->View chain at
Controller, we're going to cut it at DB.

create your model, and then put this in the class of the new model you
created:

$useTable = false;